Seeking performers for The Dunwich Horror Picture Show, a screening of the 1970 film starring Dean Stockwell that will be embellished with a live soundtrack and performance on Sunday, August 20th 9pm. There is no pay, but you will be fed and be part of an unique multimedia experience in the main room of the historic Columbus Theatre. This is the last event of NecronomiCon Providence 2017, an international celebration of Providence’s own H. P. Lovecraft.
We are looking for performers to play cultists that appear at certain points in the film. You will basically mimic what is happening on screen, in the aisles of the theater. At certain points you will chant or make sounds when certain Lovecraftian phrases are spoken by the characters. A few cultists are in hooded robes, but most will be hippie cultists wearing rags and body paint. Nudity not required, but encouraged. There will be some nudity as there is in the film itself, but you can cover yourself any way you wish with costume and body paint as long it is in the style of the characters in the film.
If you are interested, please contact Meg at pastrytothepeople @ gmail.com. Ideally you should be familiar with the film, The Dunwich Horror. It seems to no longer be on Netflix, but here is a copy: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxlkoxTI37KyNzRRYXVDRjZjbE0/view?usp=sharing.
Or you can just start here: https://vimeo.com/135823872 (pw: dunwich) – this is the dream sequence that features footage of the cultists so you can get an idea of the look and movements that you would need to mimic.
Ideally you would need to show up by 7 pm Sunday, August 2oth for instructions while the band does their soundcheck. After that there will be food and refreshments, and performers will get into costume and makeup. Showtime is 9pm.
This is a brief breakdown of the performance:
1) Title sequence (1:56-4:27) – Hooded cultists will slowly walk down aisle to booths on side of stage, in reserved seats near the front or off to the side walls.
2) Wilbur reads from the Necronomicon (6:35 – 7:29) – hooded cultists stand and emerge and all chant along with Wilbur
3) Nancy has brief freak-out (16:53 – 17:13) – hippie cultist run around quickly for 20 seconds
4) Nancy’s nightmare (23:00 – 24:55) – all cultists appear and mimic movement on film
5) Flashback to birth of twins (37:20 – 39:50) – hooded cultist appear and chant
6) Wilbur seduces Nancy (41:00 – 48:30) – all cultist appear and chant along with Wilbur, hippie cultist dance slowly to the music.
7) Ritual to end (1:04:30 – 1:27:30) – all cultists will appear and interact during the ritual scenes, hippie cultists will move rhythmically to music during the ritual scenes. when it cuts to the next scene – drop to floor and freeze. Rise and move spastically when monster appears and the band gets more chaotic, then lock into the slow rhythm of the ritual music when it changes. During the end battle between Wilbur and Armitage, they will chant along with Wilbur and hiss at Armitage, when the lightning strikes, freak out as monster appears, then fall dead when it dies.
All other times, performers should be situated either in seats, sitting in the aisle or against the wall – reacting to the film whenever a character mentions “The Necronomicon” or “The Old Ones”.
Here is a Google Spreadsheet of the complete breakdown of the performance part of the event: Dunwich Horror Picture Show breakdown.